Filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani refutes all #Metoo allegations
The acclaimed filmmaker of Bollywood had been accused of sexual assault by a woman who worked with him on his 2017 film Sanju to which Hirani has categorically denied the allegations. His lawyer Anand Desai termed the allegations "false, mischievous, scandalous, motivated and defamatory".
Hirani, known for feel-good, comedy films that have grossed record numbers at the Indian box-office, was named in a Huffington Post India story a few days ago.
It quoted an unnamed woman, nearly 30 years younger than Hirani, who alleged the 56-year-old director sexually assaulted her on more than one occasion. In a statement late on Sunday, Hirani denied all allegations.
“I want to very strongly state that this is a false, malicious and mischievous story being spread with the sole intention of destroying my reputation,” Hirani said in a statement sent to journalists by his publicist.
Reuters was unable to reach him directly for further comment through text messages and phone calls. The identity of the woman could not be immediately ascertained.
Hirani is one of the industry’s most respected directors, and his last film, a biopic on Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, was one of the highest-grossing films of 2018. He is the most high-profile Bollywood figure and the latest one to face allegations since India’s #MeToo movement gathered pace online last September.
Other notable personalities who had faced #Metoo allegations in B-town include Nana Patekar, Alok Nath, Vikas Bahl, Sajid Khan and former Union minister MJ Akbar.
Stay tuned for more updates.
- PAKvZIM – Rizwan stars as Pakistan trounce Zimbabwe in first T20I05:31 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- TLP chief Saad Hussain Rizvi still under arrest: Sheikh Rasheed05:27 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan opens new border crossing point with Iran in Pishin05:12 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Junoon goes Inquilaab! PM Imran uses Bollywood reference to show ...05:06 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Celebrity babies born in 202105:19 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021