Supply worries put oil prices mixed in Asia
Weak economic data from the United States and China further confirmed the global economic slowdown this year and next projected by the World Bank and International Monetary Fund, likely denting oil demand.
Traders are also awaiting the release later Thursday of data on US commercial crude inventories in the week ending October 9 to gauge demand in the world s top oil consumer.
Market observers expect a build in the stockpiles, which would indicate softer demand.
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate (WTI) for November delivery dipped 0.28 percent to $46.54 and Brent crude for November, which expires Thursday, climbed 0.31 percent to $49.30 at around 0330 GMT. Both contracts fell on Wednesday.
The recent price falls for both contracts have wiped out most of last week s nine percent gains that helped WTI breach $50 a barrel for the first time since July.
"Oil prices tumbled... this week as investors reacted to the OPEC monthly report and China economic data," said Sanjeev Gupta, head of the Asia Pacific oil and gas practice at professional services firm EY.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries said its output rose by 110,000 barrels per day to 31.5 million in September as the group continued to pump above its target.
Gupta added that traders were still concerned about the Chinese economy following weak trade and inflation data this week, while US retail sales figures Wednesday were also well be low expectations.
- Balochistan's first woman SHO takes charge11:24 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Imran Khan's billionaire friend wins defamation suit against Indian ...10:42 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani fans excited but were Ms. Marvel scenes really shot in ...08:59 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Search operation under way for missing French paraglider in Gilgit ...08:25 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Hassan Ali’s adorable birthday celebration with wife goes viral04:49 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Komal Baig blessed with a baby boy04:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022