Coronavirus pandemic: IMF approves $1.386 bln disbursement to Pakistan
WASHINGTON - International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved 1.386 billion dollars disbursement to Pakistan under the Rapid Financing Instrument to counter the economic impact of coronavirus pandemic.
In a statement, IMF said with the near-term outlook deteriorating sharply, Pakistan swiftly put in place measures to contain the impact of the shock and support economic activity. It said crucially, health spending has increased and social support strengthened.
The IMF support will help provide a backstop against the decline in international reserves.
It will also provide financing to the budget for targeted and temporary spending increases aimed at containing the pandemic and mitigating its economic impact.
Following the Executive Board discussion, First Deputy Managing Director and Acting Chair Geoffrey Okamoto said the outbreak of Covid-19 is having a significant impact on the Pakistani economy which has created an urgent balance of payments need, the Radio Pakistan reported.
He said in response to the crisis, Pakistan has taken swift action to halt the community spread of the virus and introduced an economic stimulus package aimed at accommodating the spending needed to tackle the health emergency and supporting economic activity.
- Encouraging Players to Continue With Risk-Taking Can Be Difficult in ...01:47 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Morrisville Samp Army march into the play-offs conquering Deccan ...12:44 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- US Central Command chief discusses security cooperation with COAS ...12:21 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Mohammad Taimur bowls Delhi Bulls to 31-runs win over Chennai Braves ...11:32 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Meet Pakistan's most streamed Spotify artist of the year08:36 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Pakistani TikTok sensation Ayesha's new videos shock her fans09:59 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- 'Hum Tum Season 2' in the works? Here is what Ahad Raza Mir says11:16 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022