Four Marines killed in US shooting rampage, gunman dead
The shooter -- identified by the FBI as 24-year-old Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez -- was himself shot dead in a firefight with police. Three people were injured -- a police officer, a Marine Corps recruiter and a Navy sailor.
The incident served as an ugly reminder of other deadly shootings at US military installations, including a 2009 rampage at Fort Hood that left 13 dead and a 2013 attack at the Navy Yard in Washington that left 12 dead.
It also came amid lingering fears about the threat posed by "lone wolf" attackers in the United States, though the motive in Thursday's attacks was not immediately clear.
President Barack Obama called the shootings "heartbreaking" and asked Americans to pray for the relatives of the victims.
"It is incomprehensible to see what happened and the way that individuals who proudly serve our country were treated," Chattanooga mayor Andy Berke said, praising the quick response by law enforcement to prevent further loss of life.
"Today is a nightmare for the city of Chattanooga." Bill Killian, the US federal prosecutor in that part of Tennessee, said the shootings was being treated as an "act of domestic terrorism." "We are looking at every possible avenue -- whether it was terrorism, whether it was domestic, international or whether it was a simple criminal act," FBI special agent Ed Reinhold said.
The FBI said later that it was "premature to speculate on the motives of the shooter at this time."
US Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the FBI would take the lead in the "national security investigation of this heinous attack on members of our military."
Abdulazeez lived in a leafy suburb of Chattanooga. US media reported that he was a naturalized US citizen born in Kuwait.
He graduated from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga with a degree in engineering.
- Javed Afridi meets PM Imran to discuss of foreign direct investment ...11:11 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- NAB summons Fazlur Rehman’s son-in-law to declare assets10:37 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- COAS Bajwa congratulates Nepalese climbers for first winter ascent of ...09:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- A paper tiger? PML-N's Rana Sanaullah 'roars' at Lahore court (VIDEO)08:22 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Mufti Abdul Qavi declared 'a mental patient' amid Hareem Shah ...08:00 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pakistanis plan an ‘Urdu Mushaira’ outside Islamabad café as ...03:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Cannoli café manager gets job offers from Shahbaz Taseer and Karak ...05:59 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021