Pakistan deplores US veto on UN call for Gaza carnage probe
NEW YORK - Pakistan has expressed full support for any move of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to highlight the plight of the Palestinians, besides deploring the UN Security Council failure to slam brutalities of Israeli forces along Gaza border.
Referring to the US move, Pakistan’s permanent representative at the UN Maleeha Lodhi deplored that a country has again vetoed the unanimous call of the other 14 UNSC members to investigate the killing at least 61 Palestinians along the by Israeli forces.
The UNSC draft said, "The Security Council expresses its outrage and sorrow at the killing of Palestinian civilians exercising their right to peaceful protest," adding, "The Security Council calls for an independent and transparent investigation into these actions to ensure accountability."
The U.S. has used its veto power 43 times against UN resolutions concerning Israel.
Speaking at an emergency meeting of OIC ambassadors at the UN, Lodi described a call by some countries for both sides to exercise "restraint" a "disingenuous attempt" to equate the occupying power with the Palestinians.
He also took on the US for shifting its embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv, terming it violation of international law contravention of the UN Charter's prohibition of the forcible acquisition of territory.
They OIC members also gravely undermined any prospect of a two-state solution in the Middle East.
At least 61 people have been killed by the Israeli military and more than 2,700 injured along the Gaza border on Monday, health officials said, as the US officially moves its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
On Wednesday, Lodhi said: “Pakistan condemns the massacre of Palestinians and calls on the United Nations to conduct an independent investigation into the tactics used by Israeli forces”.
“Israel is already an occupying power and peace has not been restored in the Middle East because of it. No condemnation is enough of the brutal massacre of women and children by Israeli forces,” she added.
- Teenage girl killed in Indian unprovoked ceasefire violations along ...04:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran expresses pain and grief over loss of lives in Beirut ...03:36 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- Model Bella Hadid speaks out against racism within the fashion ...03:35 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- India imposes curfew, restrictions in Occupied Kashmir to prevent ...02:09 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- Saba Qamar, Bilal Ashraf & others grieve over the tragic explosions ...01:10 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- Taylor Swift’s ‘Folklore’ is No. 1 on Billboard's charts with a ...05:54 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020