'Under control': Turkish forces seize Syria’s Afrin town centre from Kurds
"Afrin city centre is under control as of 8.30 this morning," Erdogan announced at a Sunday’s rally marking the 103rd anniversary of the World War One Gallipoli campaign.
In the centre of Afrin, "symbols of trust and stability are waving instead of rags of terrorists", he added.
The president said his country's "special forces and members of the Free Syrian Army are cleaning the remains and the traps they left behind".
A spokesman for the Syrian rebel forces said they met no resistance as they entered Afrin on three fronts before dawn.
There was no immediate comment from the Kurdish forces.
Pictures and video footage emerged of forces tearing down a Kurdish statue with a bulldozer. The monument depicted the blacksmith Kawa, a legendary figure for the Kurdish movement.
A Turkish armed forces Twitter page posted a video of troops displaying the nation's flag in Afrin's centre.
— TSK (@TSKGnkur) March 18, 2018
‘Operation Olive Branch’
US plans to help form a Kurdish border force set alarm bells ringing in Ankara, and prompted the launch of Operation Olive Branch.
Ankara also announced plans to push Kurdish forces from Manbij, another city near the border.
- Pakistan to establish National Emergency Helpline weeks after ...02:22 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian court acquits all 32 accused in Babri Mosque demolition case01:36 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Kuwait to swear in new Emir after Sheikh Sabah's death01:16 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Veteran actor Mirza Shahi passes away due to coronavirus10:05 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston reveals that she almost quit Hollywood04:48 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020