'Under control': Turkish forces seize Syria’s Afrin town centre from Kurds
"Afrin city centre is under control as of 8.30 this morning," Erdogan announced at a Sunday’s rally marking the 103rd anniversary of the World War One Gallipoli campaign.
In the centre of Afrin, "symbols of trust and stability are waving instead of rags of terrorists", he added.
The president said his country's "special forces and members of the Free Syrian Army are cleaning the remains and the traps they left behind".
A spokesman for the Syrian rebel forces said they met no resistance as they entered Afrin on three fronts before dawn.
There was no immediate comment from the Kurdish forces.
Pictures and video footage emerged of forces tearing down a Kurdish statue with a bulldozer. The monument depicted the blacksmith Kawa, a legendary figure for the Kurdish movement.
A Turkish armed forces Twitter page posted a video of troops displaying the nation's flag in Afrin's centre.
— TSK (@TSKGnkur) March 18, 2018
‘Operation Olive Branch’
Operation Olive Branch: Turkish military ... 06:04 PM | 10 Feb, 2018
ANKARA - A Turkish military helicopter was shot down during Ankara's military offensive against Kurdish troops in ...
US plans to help form a Kurdish border force set alarm bells ringing in Ankara, and prompted the launch of Operation Olive Branch.
Ankara also announced plans to push Kurdish forces from Manbij, another city near the border.
- ‘President grossly failed to exercise his discretion,’ remarks SC ...07:04 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- US suspends visa services in Turkey over reports of potential terror ...05:58 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Police arrested man posturing as fake Pakistan Army Captain04:47 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 37th Millat Tractors Governors Cup Golf commences today04:20 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- IN PICTURES: 5 of the most expensive Pakistani weddings of all times03:33 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 5 fall wardrobe essentials every woman needs02:00 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Unfinished: Priyanka Chopra completes her memoir11:22 AM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Turkish Airlines fined for violating SOPs in Pakistan02:42 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PDM rally venue changed in Quetta over security threats02:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Five killed as bus catches fire near Khuzdar12:07 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PML-N leader’s secret meeting upsets Nawaz11:45 AM | 23 Oct, 2020