Coronavirus fear: IHC orders release of prisoners involved in minor crimes from Adiala jail
ISLAMABAD - The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Friday ordered the release prisoners involved in petty crimes on surety bonds from Adiala jail amid fears of Cornavirus.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Athar Minallah directed the deputy commissioner to appoint an officer to deal matters related to surety bonds, adding that the government should submit the bonds on behalf of those who do not have capacity for it.
During the hearing, the chief justice inquired about the policy if any has been made for the prisoners, to which, deputy commissioner said that there is no coronavirus patient in the jails.
The chief justice said that jails in Pakistan are already overcrowded, adding that it would be difficult to overcome the situation if virus hit the jails.
Islamabad Bar Council vice chairman said that prisoners who will be freed must undergo screening to find if anyone is infected.
Pakistan now leads the region with the highest number of coronavirus cases in South Asia, a total of 456 confirmed till Thursday night, according to government data.
- PAF C-130 aircraft carrying Zaireen from Dalbandin lands at Skardu ...01:36 PM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Govt trying to maintain balance between lockdown to prevent spread of ...12:15 PM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Lahore police sealed all the entry and exit points of the city11:42 AM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Zahid Ahmed apologises to the nation for choosing a script ‘so ...05:02 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- American pianist Ellis Marsalis dead at 85, fought coronavirus04:41 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Here's what PM Imran Khan has to say regarding Maria.B controversy04:31 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 Google searches in Pakistan for 201906:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019