Supreme Court verdict on Nawaz Sharif's disqualification as PML-N president
The court’s verdict was in response to petitions that challenged the Elections Act 2017, which was bulldozed through the Upper and Lower Houses last year, paving the way for Sharif to become the head of the ruling PML-N party.
A three-judge bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, declared Article 17 of the law —allowing Sharif to resume duties as the head of the party — null and void. The court said that anyone who is unable to fulfil the requirements of Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution — which state that a member of the parliament should be “truthful” and “righteous” — cannot hold any public office, including the post of a party head.
“The Election Commission is directed to remove the name of Nawaz Sharif as president of PML-N from all official records,” Nisar said.
Supreme Court verdict:
The court also declared as illegal all acts by Sharif during his tenure as party chief, including the finalising of Senate tickets. A person who is disqualified under Article 62 and 63 of the Constitution is not eligible to nominate anyone to lower and upper houses of parliament, the chief justice said, added since a party head is powerful and political parties control the government, it is mandatory for a party head to fulfil the requirements of Article 62 and 63.
Election Act 2017 case: Supreme Court ... 05:56 PM | 21 Feb, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar on Wednesday ruled that ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif ...
- Dr Nauman barred from hosting show on PTV for insulting Shoaib Akhtar ...10:12 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Top military leadership vows to thwart entire spectrum of threats in ...09:01 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Quddus Bizenjo to be elected Balochistan CM unopposed as PTI’s Rind ...08:28 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Lulusar Polo in Pink 2021: Guard Group qualify for main final07:59 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Katrina Kaif denies rumoured wedding to Vicky Kaushal05:45 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Imran Ashraf and Sadia Khan's latest BTS video goes viral05:00 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Momina Mustehsan leaves everyone awestruck with her melodious voice05:20 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021