Girl rescued from Canadian harbor after sea lion yanks her underwater
The girl was admiring the marine mammal from Steveston Harbour near Richmond in British Columbia when it sprung from the water and nabbed her dress before hauling her over a wall.
Footage of the incident shows a man, believed to be a family member, leaping into the water to rescue the child.
Vancouver resident Michael Fujiwara captured what he described as the “scary moment” the California sea lion attacked the young girl.
“It initially jumped up to the girl to read her, I guess,” Fujiwara told CBC news. “And then it came back up a second time, but this time grabbing the girl by the waist and dragging her down into the water.”
The video shows the drenched pair walking away unharmed after the ordeal. Fujiwara said nobody was injured in the bizarre incident.
Andrew Trites, of the Marine Mammal Research Unit at University of British Columbia, said the people surrounding the animal prior to the incident should have treated it with “proper respect”.
“This was a male California sea lion. They are huge animals. They are not circus performers. They’re not trained to be next to people,” he said.
- Man accused of blasphemy walks free after 10 years in jail12:21 PM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Brendan Taylor faces ICC ban after a blackmail plot by Indian ...11:28 AM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan slips 16 positions to 140th in corruption perception index ...10:46 AM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Tariq Mahmood-ul-Hassan appointed PM’s aide on overseas Pakistanis09:49 AM | 25 Jan, 2022
- Coke Studio 14: Twitter reacts to Atif Aslam and Momina Mustehsan’s ...07:20 PM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Ramsha Khan and Ahad Mir pair up for an upcoming Ramadan play06:15 PM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021