Emergency landing: Icelandair flight drops 12,000ft in 3 minutes as window 'shattered'
The pilot warned passengers to "prepare for landing" before carrying out a rapid descent and dropping 26,000ft in just 10 minutes.
On its website, the airline said only that Flight 688 was diverted to Bagotville, Quebec "due to a technical issue."
A passenger, Harrison Hove, tweeted that the "captain says his left window shattered and had to bring us down rapidly."
OMG cockpit window shattered in plane. Rapid descent on IcelandAir flight FI688 Orlando MCO to KEF. Emergency crews responding. Passengers are SAFE from what I can tell. I’m in main cabin. pic.twitter.com/kzLZk9wsBG— Harrison Hove (@HarrisonHove) October 20, 2018
He reported that an airline employee estimated the crack at 20 centimeters (eight inches).
The Boeing 757 aircraft was flying from Orlando, Florida to Keflavik, Iceland with 155 passengers and seven crew, local media reported.
An icelandair mechanic sitting in front of me says the shatter was “spectacular.” Prob meant significant? He was brought to cockpit and said the shattering was significant, main crack estimated at 20cm. pic.twitter.com/hsRMiKVZJh— Harrison Hove (@HarrisonHove) October 20, 2018
Bagotville, about 200 kilometers (124 miles) north of Quebec, does not normally handle international flights, but Hove said Canadian immigration officers were sent onto the plane to clear the passengers.
- Special immigration counter opened for Chinese nationals at Islamabad ...11:36 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Afghan protesters storm Pakistan High Commission in London10:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- IT ministry makes use of indigenous messaging app mandatory for govt ...10:08 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- DG ISI arrives in Beijing for strategic talks with Chinese officials08:47 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty breaks silence after husband’s arrest in pornography ...03:49 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Iqra Aziz and Yasir Hussain welcome first baby03:16 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani stars demand #JusticeForNoor02:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021