IMF releases $1.39 billion for Pakistan amid coronavirus outbreak
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has received 1.39 billion US dollars under Rapid Financing Instrument by the International Monetary Fund, the country's central bank confirmed on Wednesday.
The loan, approved last week, is to meet the urgent balance of payment needs that have arisen due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to an IMF press release, which also noted that the country’s health spending and social welfare support have increased during this time.
Loans given under the IMF’s rapid financing instrument, as this one has been, have to be repaid in 3.25 to 5 years.
Pakistan has recorded just over 200 deaths but experts have voiced fear that the country of 215 million people could see a rapid and devastating increase due to its shortage of medical infrastructure and crowded cities.
Pakistan approaches 60,000 cases of coronavirus ... 03:38 PM | 27 May, 2020
LAHORE – The number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan rose to a total of 59,850, according to government data till ...
- Heavy rains likely in parts of country from Thursday11:48 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Pakistan condemns start of temple construction at Babri Mosque site ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Trump offers to mediate standoff between China, India09:45 PM | 27 May, 2020
- India may lose T20 World Cup 2021 hosting rights over tax issues08:51 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Petrol prices likely to go down by Rs5-10 in Pakistan07:33 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Anoushey receives Eid wishes from 'Ertugrul' – VIDEO04:35 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Nadia Jamil’s best friend goes bald to support her03:55 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Asim Azhar releases his version of Bollywood song Humraah02:34 PM | 27 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020