Easter bombings in retaliation for Christchurch massacre, says Sri Lankan minister
"The preliminary investigations have revealed that what happened in Sri Lanka (on Sunday) was in retaliation to the attack against Muslims in Christchurch," Ruwan Wijewardene told parliament.
The minister detailed that along with National Thawheeth Jama'ath (NTJ), another local group, Jammiyathul Millathu Ibrahim (JMI) was also believed to be involved in the attacks that left over 321 dead - according to latest reports.
As investigations into the bombings have been intensified, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) also claimed responsibility for the attacks on Tuesday.
Those that carried out the attack that targeted members of the US-led coalition and Christians in Sri Lanka the day before yesterday are Islamic State group fighters," a statement released by the group's propaganda agency Amaq said.
As many as fifty people were killed in the shooting spree on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on March 15; Australian-born gunman Brenton Tarrant was arrested for the carnage that sent shockwaves across the world and prompted calls for gun control laws across the world, especially in New Zealand.
Mourning in Sri Lanka
Sri Lankans across the island nation observed three minutes of silence early Tuesday to pay tribute to nearly 300 people killed in a string of suicide attacks.
National flags were lowered and people bowed their heads as the silence began at 8:30 am local time (0300 GMT), the time the first of six attacks occurred on Sunday.
The government has declared a full day of national mourning on Tuesday, with flags at all government institutions lowered to half mast, liquor shops ordered shut and radio stations and television channels expected to play sombre music.
At St Anthony's Shrine in Colombo where the first suicide bomb detonated on Sunday morning, a crowd of several dozen people held up candles and prayed silently, palms pressed together, eyes squeezed shut.
Some of them struggled to hold back tears, and as the three minutes drew to a close, the crowd began to recite prayers.
- Here are complete unofficial results of Senate Election 202109:53 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Peshawar Zalmi fined for slow over-rate in match against ...09:15 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran Khan’s vote for Senate polls was also rejected?09:04 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- ‘Aik Qaum, Aik Manzil’ – ISPR releases teaser for Pakistan Day ...08:18 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PTI govt to lose Abdul Hafeez Shaikh as Pakistan's finance minister ...07:52 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021