German nurse initially thought to have killed 2 patients turns out to have killed many more
BERLIN (Web Desk) - A nurse has been jailed for life in Germany for killing two patients by intentionally overdosing them on heart medication. However, authorities believe the male nurse may have killed a total of 27 people at two different hospitals.
The 39-year-old man, who has been identified as Niels H, was convicted in February for murder and attempted murder in the northern German city of Oldenburg.
A judge ordered the bodies of 99 patients in nearby Delmenhorst to be exhumed and the city's police chief, Johann Kuehme, said toxicology tests showed the residue of a heart drug, which none of them required, in 27 of the 99 bodies examined.
“The horror doesn't end. The investigations cannot be closed,” the Mail Online reported while quoting Mr Kuehme.
Niels H's admitted during the trial he had triggered cardiac arrests in 90 patients, 30 of whom died. He told the court he enjoyed the feeling of saving someone's life.
Mr Kuehme said the investigators were also examining an unusually high number of patient deaths that occurred at a second hospital, in Oldenburg, where the nurse worked prior to Delmenhorst.
The police and prosecutors said there was a 'strong suspicion' Niels H had killed at least six patients at the Oldenburg hospital by injecting heart medication or toxic doses of potassium.
Several hundred additional files of deceased patients are being examined and the investigation is expected to run into next year.
Several managers at both hospitals are also being questioned to determine if they are criminally culpable for failing to notice the high number of deaths during Niels H's shifts.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020