Women in New Zealand wear headscarves to support Muslims after Christchurch shooting
A doctor in Auckland, Thaya Ashman, came up with the idea to encourage people to wear a headscarf after she learned about a woman who was too scared to go out as she felt her headscarf would make her a target for terrorism.
“I wanted to say: ‘We are with you, we want you to feel at home on your own streets, we love, support and respect you’,” Ashman said.
Women who joined an open prayer in front of the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, where most of the victims were put to death, wore headscarves as a sign of respect. Others across New Zealand, including news anchors and reporters, joined in the gesture too and shared pictures on social media.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has continued to express support for the Muslim community, following the terrorist incident. She too wore a black headscarf when meeting members of the Muslim community after the shootings and was highly praised for humble gesture.
A female police officer kept guard at a Christchurch cemetery, where shooting victims were buried on Thursday, with a scarf over her head and an automatic weapon in her hands.
Comment below and share your thoughts with us.
- Three PTI ministers to probe Broadsheet scandal11:19 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- KP, Sindh governors call on PM Imran10:20 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Why is ‘Imran Khan’ riding a rickshaw in Sialkot? (VIDEO)09:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Smart lockdown in several areas of Gujranwala, Lahore including DHA, ...09:03 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Nora Fatehi 'had fun last night' with Turkish chef Burak in Dubai ...07:29 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Mahira Khan recovers from COVID-19 infection, announces return to TV ...04:41 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021