Africa declared free from wild polio virus but it still exists in Pakistan, Afghanistan
Africa Regional Certification Commission (ARCC), an independent body, on Tuesday declared that Africa is a free of wild polio virus region, international media reported.
The announcement about the certification of the milestone was made during a World Health Organisation (WHO) videoconference.
The certification confirms all 47 countries in the WHO's Africa region have weed out the disabling and life-threatening disease.
The last case in the region was reported four years ago in northeast Nigeria.
“Thanks to the relentless efforts by governments, donors, frontline health workers and communities, up to 1.8 million children have been saved from the crippling lifelong paralysis,” the WHO earlier said in a statement.
Twenty-five years ago thousands of children in Africa were paralysed after the contacted the polio virus.
The disease is now only found in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
There are 65 cases reported in 2020 so far while the total number of cases reported in 2019 cases remains 147.
- PM Imran to virtually address UNGA session on Friday09:29 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- PM Imran lauds Chinese leadership for socio-economic priorities08:34 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- PIA raises airfares for Saudi Arabia flights by upto Rs49,00012:04 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan condemns Houthis' attacks on Saudi Arabia11:39 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- US imposes new sanctions on Iran’s Defense Ministry09:47 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Cavit Çetin Güner and Sadia Khan follow each other on Instagram05:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Emmys 2020: Jennifer Aniston hosts surprise ‘Friends‘ reunion04:07 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Aiman Khan, Muneeb Butt celebrate Amal’s first birthday01:53 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020