India beefs up security to stop protests on Christmas eve against anti-Muslim citizenship law
NEW DELHI – The Indian police and security forces have stepped up security to stop the massive protest marches planned on Christmas Eve against the new Anti-Muslim citizenship law across the country.
According to Indian media reports, the internet has been shut down in various cities and Indian paramilitary forces have been deployed in markets and public spaces in New Dehli to stop the ongoing protests.
The Citizenship Amendment Act discriminates against Muslims and is part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindu nationalist agenda.
At least 25 people have been killed by Indian forces in protests since the controversial anti-Muslim law was passed.
The controversial law has sparked violent protests across the country and the wave of protests marks the biggest challenge to Modi’s government since sweeping to power in 2014.
- Amazon Prime Day 2020 is happening on October 1309:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- HSY, Feroze Khan discuss initiatives to combat harassment on Live ...08:18 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Northern’s Haider Ali trends on Twitter after blasting batting in ...06:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Public holiday announced on Friday in Sindh06:11 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian national held for crossing into Pakistan illegally, booked ...05:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020