Koena Mitra sentenced to six months in jail in cheque bounce case
Responding to the matter, Koena said that she has been framed, adding that she will challenge the order in a higher court, India Today reported.
The case was registered against Koena in accordance with a complaint lodged by model Poonam Sethi in 2013.
Following this, Koena was asked to pay Rs 4.64 lakh, of which Rs 1.64 lakh was an interesting component, to complainant Sethi.
“It is a court matter, so obviously we will go to the higher court to challenge the order. The higher court will give us an order (and) only then can we talk about it. Right now, I don’t have anything to say except that it’s a fraud case and I am being framed,” Koena told IANS over the phone from Mumbai.
Sethi’s complaint states that Koena had, over time, borrowed Rs 22 lakh from her. When the actress gave Sethi a cheque of Rs 3 lakh as part of the repayment, it bounced, reportedly for ‘want of funds’.
At the Andheri Metropolitan court in Mumbai, Magistrate Ketaki Chavan rejected Koena’s arguments, which included her claim that Sethi could not afford to lend her Rs 22 lakh.
Koena said that her lawyer wasn’t present in the court during the final argument, so the order was passed without her side of the argument being presented. She added that her lawyers are currently working on a challenge plea.
- PIA raises airfares for Saudi Arabia flights by upto Rs49,00012:04 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan condemns Houthis' attacks on Saudi Arabia11:39 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- US imposes new sanctions on Iran’s Defense Ministry09:47 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Pakistani documentary selected as finalist for Resistance ...09:13 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- TECNO’s launches Hero Phone Spark 6 in Pakistan08:24 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Cavit Çetin Güner and Sadia Khan follow each other on Instagram05:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Emmys 2020: Jennifer Aniston hosts surprise ‘Friends‘ reunion04:07 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Aiman Khan, Muneeb Butt celebrate Amal’s first birthday01:53 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020