Koena Mitra sentenced to six months in jail in cheque bounce case
MUMBAI - Bollywood actress Koena Mitra has been sentenced to six months in prison in a cheque bounce case.
Responding to the matter, Koena said that she has been framed, adding that she will challenge the order in a higher court, India Today reported.
The case was registered against Koena in accordance with a complaint lodged by model Poonam Sethi in 2013.
Following this, Koena was asked to pay Rs 4.64 lakh, of which Rs 1.64 lakh was an interesting component, to complainant Sethi.
“It is a court matter, so obviously we will go to the higher court to challenge the order. The higher court will give us an order (and) only then can we talk about it. Right now, I don’t have anything to say except that it’s a fraud case and I am being framed,” Koena told IANS over the phone from Mumbai.
Sethi’s complaint states that Koena had, over time, borrowed Rs 22 lakh from her. When the actress gave Sethi a cheque of Rs 3 lakh as part of the repayment, it bounced, reportedly for ‘want of funds’.
At the Andheri Metropolitan court in Mumbai, Magistrate Ketaki Chavan rejected Koena’s arguments, which included her claim that Sethi could not afford to lend her Rs 22 lakh.
Koena said that her lawyer wasn’t present in the court during the final argument, so the order was passed without her side of the argument being presented. She added that her lawyers are currently working on a challenge plea.
- No coronavirus case in Pakistan; screening continues at airports12:24 AM | 20 Feb, 2020
- Rothschild suit revives family's Vienna past10:22 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- 3 youth martyred in Pulwama as India launches another anti-Kashmir ...10:08 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Kashmir issue no more a bilateral but international human rights ...09:55 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- WWF-Pakistan stresses innovative technologies for wastewater ...06:53 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Harry Styles reportedly mugged at knifepoint on Valentine's Day01:42 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- UN chief meets Mahira Khan, thanks her for ‘extraordinary support’02:59 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Justin Bieber admits to being 'reckless' with Selena when they dated11:17 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019