Pakistan court allows young woman to undergo sex change surgery
PESHAWAR – The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Thursday ordered the officials of a local hospital to facilitate a woman in sexual transition surgery, local media reported.
A division bench comprising Justice Qaiser Rasheed and Justice Naeem Anwar issued the ruling on a petition seeking court’s nod for sex reassignment surgery (SRS).
The procedure would be carried out at Peshawar’s Hayatabad Medical Complex.
The PHC also consulted legal advisor of the hospital regarding the matter while in detail arguments were made in light of the Constitution, transgender rights act, etc. during the hearing.
Petitioner’s counsel Saifullah Muhib Kakakhel argued woman has right to go for any surgery to change her sex, adding it is her constitutional right.
The lawyer revealed that his client has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, a term that describes a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity.
Due to mental depression, the woman wanted to undergo the surgery, he said.
He also argued that the parliament had recently passed the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2018, and her desire to change her sex is covered under Section 2 of the Act, Dawn News reported.
After hearing the arguments, the court gave not for the surgery.
- Matric result 2020 to be announced in Punjab on Sept 19, confirms ...11:59 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Woman gang-raped in presence of husband in Pakistan's village days ...11:19 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nepal to mint coins displaying new political map that shows ...10:42 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- FBR imposes Rs35 million penalty on Justice Isa’s wife for failing ...09:41 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nawaz Sharif accepts Bilawal’s invitation to virtually attend ...09:07 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nida Yasir apologizes after receiving backlash04:20 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- 'The Batman' filming resumes following shutdown over Robert ...02:36 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Aima Baig confirms that she’s dating Shahbaz Shigri02:19 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020