Restore Radio Mashaal's transmission, US urges Pakistan
US Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert expressed American’s concerns regarding the ban, adding that the reservations had been forwarded to Islamabad.
“The ban on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty station concerns the US,” she told reporters at a press briefing. “We have informed the Pakistani government about our concerns and demand them to withdraw the decision of closing down Radio Mashaal without any delay.”
Meanwhile, RFE also expressed concern on Friday that "members of Radio Mashaal are facing pressure by authorities following the closure of the Pashto-language service's Islamabad office on ISI's orders last week."
Last week, authorities shut down US-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty‘s Pashto-language station in the country on for airing content “against the interest of Pakistan”. The office of RFE/RL’s Radio Mashaal in Islamabad was ordered closed by the Ministry of Interior.
The notification accused Radio Mashaal of portraying Pakistan as a “failed state” and “a hub of terrorism and safe haven for different militant groups”. It alleged that the station was “distorting facts (to) incite the target population against the state and its institutions”, referring to ethnic Pashtuns.
Radio Mashaal broadcasts from Prague:
With its Pakistan bureau shut by authorities last week, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty’s Pashto-language station is broadcasting from its headquarters in a distant Prague, waiting for “the dust to settle,” according to its senior editor.
“We read the charges through social media. We were not informed by any government agent,” Daud Khattak, Radio Mashaal’s Prague-based senior editor said.
Funded by the US Congress, Radio Free Europe or Radio Liberty was founded in 1950. It currently broadcasts in 25 languages. Mashaal has over 1.6 million Facebook fans and scored 81 million video views on Facebook and 10 million views on YouTube in 2017. Its closure coincides with heightened tensions between Islamabad and Washington.
- Nawal Saeed melts hearts with new sizzling photos in saree11:10 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Michael Weisz’s YieldStreet faces litigation of over £100 million10:48 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Asad Zaman makes into Punjab Junior Tennis quarterfinals10:20 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- DG ISPR, Information minister review Pakistan's diamond jubilee ...09:54 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- In telephone call with Blinken, FM Bilawal reiterates commitment for ...09:29 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new video of playing cricket in saree goes viral06:06 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Fia Khan’s new bold pregnancy photoshoot with family goes viral05:18 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Dolly’s new TikTok video goes viral03:42 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022