US expands its secret drone war to Libya to hunt 'al-Qaeda'
The American army, which had earlier been targeting terrorists of Islamic militant since US President Donald Trump took office, on Saturday fired a drone at a house in Ubari, 435 miles south of Tripoli, to hit the militants.
A photo circulating on the media show a mutilated bodies lying under the rubble of the razed house. The killed were later identified by a spokeswoman as belonging to Al-Qaeda’s branch in northwestern Africa.
The targeted region remains in the light due to the notorious sanctuaries of Al-Qaeda and other extremist outfits operate in Algeria, Niger and other areas.
In a statement, the military’s Africa Command (AFRICOM) said the strike was launched with the assistance of the United Nations-backed unity government in Tripoli, targeting militants belong to Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), an affiliate.
The strike was conducted as part of efforts to “disrupt and destroy terrorist organizations,” the statement said, adding that the purpose was “to deny terrorists freedom of action and degrade their ability to reconsolidate.”
According to New York Times, Ubri's seminomadic tribesmen are heavily involved in the smuggling of weapons, drugs and illegal migrants through the lawless deserts of southern Libya.
Some have allied with Islamist militias, including Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, which operates across Algeria, Mali, Niger and Libya.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 06 May 202108:49 AM | 6 May, 2021
- Ferozsons Laboratories salutes Healthcare Heroes by lighting National ...11:52 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Watch: Filling station worker douses ‘robbers’ with fuel11:21 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Pakistan Army captain among three soldiers martyred in Waziristan ...11:02 PM | 5 May, 2021
- 100 DG Khan students graduate from US-funded English Access program10:09 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Salman Khan and Disha Patani sizzle in Radhe title track10:07 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Saboor Aly shares a heartwarming video from her Baat Paki celebration02:50 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Nazish Jahangir sheds light on the controversy with Mohsin Abbas ...02:10 PM | 5 May, 2021