PEMRA allows TV channels to resume transmission, social media remain suspended
“All news and current affairs channels have been restored,” spokesperson of the media watchdog said in a statement.
Hours after police and paramilitary forces launched a crackdown on protesters on Saturday, the Pemra shut down transmission of all private news channels, accusing them of violating media regulations by airing live coverage of the operation.
Six killed, 250 injured, Pakistan Army summoned ... 10:25 AM | 26 Nov, 2017
ISLAMABAD - At least six people were killed and over 250 wounded as law enforcement agencies finally acted under ...
Furthermore, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) was ordered to block popular social media networking sites Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and video-sharing websites YouTube and Dailymotion.
One car, five motorbikes set on fire as fresh ... 01:15 PM | 26 Nov, 2017
ISLAMABAD - At least one car and five motorcycles were set on fire by the protesters in fresh clashes between ...
“Under the Electronic Media Code of Conduct, 2015, the live coverage of any security operation is prohibited,” it had said. “TV channels are advised to exhibit utmost sensitivity regarding the matter and refrain from live coverage.”
A notification from Pemra announced on Sunday that all news and current affairs satellite TV channels have "immediately been restored".
"All distribution networks have been directed to restore these channels on their original positions immediately," the Pemra press release said.
However, Facebook, YouTube, DailyMotion, Twitter and Instagram are still blocked in the country and there is no news about their restoration as yet.
Meanwhile, citizens have expressed anger over the suspension of services, with many accusing the government of clamping down on the media.
- Why is ‘Imran Khan’ riding a rickshaw in Sialkot? (VIDEO)09:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Smart lockdown in several areas of Gujranwala, Lahore including DHA, ...09:03 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Nora Fatehi 'had fun last night' with Turkish chef Burak in Dubai ...07:29 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Mahira Khan recovers from COVID-19 infection, announces return to TV ...04:41 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021