Tehran court goes soft on Saudi Embassy attackers in response to "Saudi policy"
The suspects were accused with disturbing the public order and damaging embassy buildings. Nine accused appeared in the court while the other twelves suspects were absent.
Relations between Tehran and Riyadh have been tense for a long time. After the protesters attacked the Saudi embassy in anger at the execution of Nimr al-Nimr, a prominent Shia cleric in Saudi Arabia, Tehran had initially promised swift justice.
Yet Mohseni Ejei, a spokesman of the judiciary , said that a reduction in punishment was needed due to the growing enmity between Tehran and Riyadh.
He went as far as calling Riyadh an enemy of Iran - a view popular among the regime's prominent figureheads. The reason for leniency, he said, was that the Kingdom has always castigated Iran's interference in the Arab world.
Ejei even tried to justify the attacks but the Iranian President Hassan Rouhani denounced them internationally, calling them a national security threat.
- Three killed in explosion onboard Indian naval ship at Mumbai dockyard11:16 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Gobi's Paints 3rd U19 Junior Polo Championship: Remington JPF score ...10:42 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan increases tax on mobile phone recharge10:20 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- PM Imran condemns Houthi attacks on UAE in call with Abu Dhabi ruler09:54 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Pakistani Rupee sheds 26 paisas against dollar09:24 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Ushna Shah leaves fans stunned with latest video05:15 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Adnan Siddiqui takes a hilarious jibe at Humayun Saeed04:17 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Minal Khan and Ahsan Mohsin share stunning portrait from Kartarpur03:46 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021