CM Shahbaz suspends police officers, assures swift justice for Multan panchayat rape victims
The chief minister met the victim's families at Women Crisis Centre in Multan and assured them of swift justice.
“Those responsible [for the crime] will not be spared in any circumstance,” he declared.
Shahbaz Sharif said that the FIR for the first incident of rape was filed eight days later.
“The incident shows the worst negligence on part of the police,” he lamented and termed the delay by police 'criminal'.
He also announced the formation of a three-member committee headed by police officer Malik Abubakar comprising Regional Police Officer Sargodha and chairman Chief Minister Inspection Team which would arrive in the city on Thursday (today) to start investigations into the horrible incident.
"The committee has been given 72 hours to submit a report on the case," he said.
'Revenge rape': Panchayat members arrested for ... 07:53 PM | 26 Jul, 2017
MULTAN - Nearly a dozen members of a local jirga or Panchayat face arrest in southern Punjab after they ordered the ...
Shahbaz Sharif also demoted the CPO Multan to OSD (Officer on Special Duty) and suspended the entire staff of relevant police station.
"I have promised the families of victims that severe punishment would be given to the culprits in the light of law," he added.
Earlier, the Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar took suo moto notice of the incident and directed Inspector general Police Punjab Arif Nawaz to submit a report in this regard.
The notice taken by the top judge exercising his special powers relates to an incident that took place in Multan when a panchayat was assembled after a man named Umar Wawda raped a 12-year-old girl on July 16.
Two days later, on July 18, on the panchayat’s orders, the family of the rape victim arrived at the residence of Wawda, where the 16-year-old sister of the accused was raped by Ashfaq (brother of the girl raped earlier).
As soon as the incident was brought to the fore, police arrested 10 members of the panchayat, including its leader.
- 28 Pakistani prisoners repatriated from Saudi Arabia06:30 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- 'Cannot spend nights with Ziaullah Bangash!' Kohat woman accuses PTI ...06:17 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- UAE allows residents stranded in six countries including Pakistan to ...05:31 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Mahira Khan jolts the internet with killer dance moves in saree ...04:09 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas's leaked dance video goes viral03:36 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Kabul security team gets briefing on alleged abduction of Afghan ...11:34 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021