CM Shahbaz suspends police officers, assures swift justice for Multan panchayat rape victims
The chief minister met the victim's families at Women Crisis Centre in Multan and assured them of swift justice.
“Those responsible [for the crime] will not be spared in any circumstance,” he declared.
Shahbaz Sharif said that the FIR for the first incident of rape was filed eight days later.
“The incident shows the worst negligence on part of the police,” he lamented and termed the delay by police 'criminal'.
He also announced the formation of a three-member committee headed by police officer Malik Abubakar comprising Regional Police Officer Sargodha and chairman Chief Minister Inspection Team which would arrive in the city on Thursday (today) to start investigations into the horrible incident.
"The committee has been given 72 hours to submit a report on the case," he said.
'Revenge rape': Panchayat members arrested for ... 07:53 PM | 26 Jul, 2017
MULTAN - Nearly a dozen members of a local jirga or Panchayat face arrest in southern Punjab after they ordered the ...
Shahbaz Sharif also demoted the CPO Multan to OSD (Officer on Special Duty) and suspended the entire staff of relevant police station.
"I have promised the families of victims that severe punishment would be given to the culprits in the light of law," he added.
Earlier, the Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar took suo moto notice of the incident and directed Inspector general Police Punjab Arif Nawaz to submit a report in this regard.
The notice taken by the top judge exercising his special powers relates to an incident that took place in Multan when a panchayat was assembled after a man named Umar Wawda raped a 12-year-old girl on July 16.
Two days later, on July 18, on the panchayat’s orders, the family of the rape victim arrived at the residence of Wawda, where the 16-year-old sister of the accused was raped by Ashfaq (brother of the girl raped earlier).
As soon as the incident was brought to the fore, police arrested 10 members of the panchayat, including its leader.
- Jamshed Iqbal Cheema appointed SAPM on food security07:48 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- In first step to control price hike, new Pakistani finance minister ...07:35 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- ‘Ingenuity’ – NASA Mars helicopter makes first historic flight ...06:50 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Mobilink Microfinance Bank launches School Loan to financially ...06:29 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Justin Bieber all set for a cameo in Friends: The Reunion Special05:31 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021