Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu vows to remove Al Jazeera from Israel 'for inciting violence'
Tensions in Jerusalem have flared in recent days, as Palestinians resisted Israel's heightened security measures near Haram al-Sharif.
The government said the measures were needed to prevent weapons entering the holy grounds, following the killing of two Israeli policemen.
"The Al-Jazeera channel continues to incite violence around the Temple Mount," Netanyahu wrote in a Facebook post yesterday, referring to the Haram al-Sharif compound in Jerusalem, known to Jews as the Temple Mount.
"I have appealed to law enforcement agencies several times to close the Al-Jazeera office in Jerusalem. If this is not possible because of legal interpretation, I am going to seek to have the necessary legislation adopted to expel Al- Jazeera from Israel."
On Tuesday, Israel removed the metal detectors and planned on replacing them with less obtrusive surveillance.
Al-Jazeera has also faced government censure in neighbouring Egypt when in 2014, the Arab state jailed three al-Jazeera journalists for seven years and closed the network's offices. Two have been released but a third remains in prison.
Egypt, along with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emitares and Bahrain, have called for Qatar to close Al Jazeera.
- PTI minister tells why PM Imran can’t expel French ambassador11:55 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- 12 security personnel taken hostage by TLP protesters recovered: ...10:53 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Marastyal – KPK launches mobile app to lodge complaints against ...08:38 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Unknown persons booked for disrespecting 'King Priest' at Mohenjo-Daro08:04 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Arjun Rampal, Neil Nitin Mukesh test positive for Covid-1902:01 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021