Russian forces to stay in Syria for the next half century
The official document says Russian forces will be deployed at the Hmeymim base for 49 years with the option of extending that arrangement for 25-year period.
The original deal, signed in Damascus in January, sets out the terms under which Russia can use its Hmeymim air base in Latakia Province which it has used to carry out air strikes against forces opposing President Bashar al-Assad.
The base has been at the heart of Moscow's military foray since it intervened in the conflict in September 2015, helping turn the tide in favour of President Assad, one of Russia's closest Middle East allies.
- 28 Pakistani prisoners repatriated from Saudi Arabia06:30 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- 'Cannot spend nights with Ziaullah Bangash!' Kohat woman accuses PTI ...06:17 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- UAE allows residents stranded in six countries including Pakistan to ...05:31 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Mahira Khan jolts the internet with killer dance moves in saree ...04:09 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas's leaked dance video goes viral03:36 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Kabul security team gets briefing on alleged abduction of Afghan ...11:34 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021