Shahid Khaqan Abbasi disqualified to contest elections from NA-57
ISLAMABAD - Former premier Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has been declared unfit to contest the upcoming elections from his hometown NA-57 (Murree) seat, in a major blow to the embattled Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz.
An Election Tribunal on Wednesday sustained an appeal against Abbasi’s candidature from the said constituency, disqualifying him from contesting elections from the constituency.
According to a detailed verdict, the Returning Officer for NA-57, Haider Ali, has also been sacked as he admitted his mistake. Moreover, investigations have also been launched against him.
PTI bigwigs out of Electoral Race
Additionally, the appellant tribunal chaired by Justice Ibadul Rehman Lodhi of the Lahore High Court (LHC) also rejected nomination papers of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders Fawad Chaudhry from NA-67, and Sardar Ghulam Abbas from NA-64.
In a video message, the PTI spokesperson contended that there was no substantial evidence before his ineligibility to contest elections.
فواد چوہدری کے کاغذات نامزدگی مسترد ہونے کی اصل وجہ کیا بنی؟ سنیں خود انکی زبانی۔ (27.06.2018) #Elections2018 #GE18Posted by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf on Wednesday, June 27, 2018
I am also moving Supreme Judicial COunsel against the judge who declared me unfit to contest the July 25 polls, dares Chaudhry.
The decision came on appeals filed by the candidates’ rivals against the returning officers (ROs) decision to accept the nomination papers.
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Two Pakistan High commission officials asked to leave India in 24 ...10:40 PM | 31 May, 2020
- ‘History in Making’ — Pakistani plane flies directly to US for ...10:07 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Petrol price slashed by Rs7.06 per litre in Pakistan09:01 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020