Swiss parliament approves step towards burqa ban
The proposal by lawmaker Walter Wobmann of the populist right-wing Swiss Peoples Party (SVP) won 88 votes, with 87 against, the ATS news agency reported.
ATS quotes Wobmann as saying that the goal of the national burqa ban is to “maintain public order and respect for the dignity of women.”
Wobmann's bill was nearly identical to a measure approved in a 2013 referendum in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino banning the full-face Islamic veil.
- Punjab makes Covid vaccination mandatory for school teachers, staff09:14 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- US military tests AI software that can predict events, enemy’s ...08:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Hassan Afzal Khan appointed new Pakistan consul general for Dubai08:00 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- COAS Bajwa visits Baloch Regimental Centre Abbottabad07:18 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- 5.3 magnitude earthquake jolts Islamabad, parts of KP06:50 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Aima Baig dances her heart out on sister’s mayoun (VIDEO)04:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Mahira Khan leaves fans thrilled with first teaser of ‘Prince ...04:01 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Sarah Khan flaunts baby bump in new photos03:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Kabul security team gets briefing on alleged abduction of Afghan ...11:34 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021