Dr Nasira Jabeen becomes first female PU Vice Chancellor in 136 years
LAHORE - The government of Punjab has appointed Dr Nasira Jabeen as the provisional Vice-Chancellor of the prestigious Punjab University, making her the first female head of the institute.
According to a notification issued on Friday, Dr Nasira Jabeen's appointment was made by the search committee, on the directives of Punjab Higher Education Department (HED).
The search committee was headed by industrialist Abdul Razak Dawood and comprised Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) Chairman Dr Umar Saif, Punjab Accreditation Committee Chairman Zafar Iqbal Qureshi, and Punjab Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW) Chairperson Dr Fauzia Waqar. Punjab HED Secretary Nabeel Awan is the secretary and also the member of the Search Committee.
Besides Dr Nasira Jabeen, Dr Taqi Zahid Butt, Dr Shahid Kamal, Dr Fakhr ul Haq Noori, and Dr Saleem Mazhar of the university appeared for the interview to fill the vacant spot, till a permanent head is appointed.
Dr Nasira Jabeen was serving as Dean Institute of Administrative Services and is the first woman to be appointed to the top slot in the 136 years history of Punjab University.
The Supreme Court had suspended the PU acting VC Dr Zakria Zakar on 21st April during the hearing of a case regarding the handing over of the PU’s 80-kanal land to the National Transmission and Dispatch Company (NTDC) for a grid-station.
When Dr Zakar was grilled by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar,he tendered his resignation before the court.
The government also appointed Dr Farkhanda Manzoor as the new Vice Chancellor (VC) for Lahore College for Women University (LCWU).
Moreover a day after Zakir's resignation, the top judge suspended LCWU Vice-Chancellor Dr Qureshi and ordered the provincial government to form a new inquiry committee to look into allegations against Dr Qureshi’s eligibility.
Quraishi pleaded the bench not to dismiss her as it would affect her reputation but the court observed that she could plead her case afresh in front of a search committee.
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- FBR directed to stop menace of fake and flying invoices10:10 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020