Punjab Assembly passes resolution against National Accountability Bureau
Demanding elimination of plea bargain law from NAB laws, the resolution said that the accountability bureau is violating basic human rights.
“NAB not only arrested, harassed a senior government official but is also involved in character assassination. NAB law contradicts human rights and dignity,” the resolution read.
The resolution, presented by Law Minister Rana Sanaullah and passed with a majority, calls for ending the ‘plea-bargain’ clause in the NAB Ordinance. The clause allows accused persons to accept their guilt and return some of the plundered wealth in exchange for a light punishment.
NAB in its most recent crackdown investigated Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif over the accusations of corruption in Ashiyana Housing Scheme. Former DG Lahore Development Authority Ahad Cheema and contractor Shahid Shafiq were also arrested in the case.
Opposition parties staged a walked out of the session after which the government assembly members approved it in absence of opposition.
The Punjab Assembly has around 315 members on the treasury benches and around 53 in opposition.
- Pakistan reports lowest number of daily COVID cases in two months as ...09:08 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:48 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 18 September 202108:42 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Taliban replace Afghanistan women's ministry with vice department12:43 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- HRW says India's ruling BJP targeting Modi govt critics12:22 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021