India to make more expensive defense buys from US
The agreement that is worth $1 billion will be executed in phases, as the planes are to be handed over to India in the next three years.
The Indian navy already operates eight P-8I aircraft equipped with Harpoon missiles, lightweight torpedoes and rockets for anti-submarine and surveillance operations over the Indian Ocean.
Observers are of the view that India is seeking to expand its ASW capability as China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has pushed its submarine operations further west into the Indian Ocean. Pakistan's ally China is largely seen by New Delhi as its largest regional rival.
- Pakistan Navy thwarts Indian submarine’s intrusion bid: ISPR (VIDEO)02:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Bill Gates was warned against sending ‘flirty’ emails to a female ...01:34 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Bangladesh and Oman lock horns in must-win game today12:32 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran, President Alvi extend felicitations to Muslims on Eid ...11:57 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Bakhtawar Bhutto reveals her son's name09:41 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021