To my sisters in Pakistan: A note of hope from England
As you’ve probably worked out, I’m the new advice columnist for you all at The Daily Pakistan Global, and thrilled to be so. Through my work with the Quilliam Foundation, various feminist groups and R2D, I’ve constantly heard your powerful, brave voices through the gloomy murmur of misogynists, oppressors and racists.
I love Pakistan in so many ways and I cannot wait to start hearing your stories and voices in a world that tends to only listen to men. You are not brainwashed little servants but brilliantly funny, intelligent and powerful individuals who stay strong in the face of so much hatred and cruelty- I’ve already met so many of you who shine brighter than any western paper could ever suggest. I’ve studied Islam and Pakistan throughout my degree and I can tell you one thing: you are every bit as valuable, brave and strong as anyone else. I’ve heard about your marches, your protests, your secret networks and rebellions against men who would see you chained in silence to tradition and servitude. I don’t care if you are Muslim, atheist, Hindu, Christian, dark skinned, fair skinned, educated, poor, rich, young or old- you matter and its time the world heard your problems and your voices.
So please, keep fighting for a tomorrow where the women of Pakistan can be free to live in a Pakistan they want, and deserve. And if you ever need someone to listen to your unhappinesses, no matter how small or enormous, I’ll be here. We might live in very different societies but we share the blood of the sisterhood. It can be useful to hear a different perspective from another culture, and I offer you that. Hang in there. I promise you the time will come when, as here, misogyny will die at our feet. It just takes patience, hard work and bravery.
Note: Anyone who wants to be anonymous email me at m.l.hanson@Outlook.com
We are trying out this new section where our readers can anonymously seek advice from our experts. You can send also your queries for Anon Advice section to m.l.hanson@Outlook.com, make sure you include “Anon Advice” in the subject of the email.
- Guterres commends Pakistan’ contributions towards UN’s charter, ...10:53 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan to name all development projects after top taxpayers09:59 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- PTI announces 3-day mourning as Naeemul Haque laid to rest in Karachi09:53 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- COVID-19: Coronavirus death toll rises to 1,666 in China09:43 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- UN chief Guterres calls for full respect to human rights in Occupied ...09:36 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- Shahid Afridi and wife welcome 5th baby girl01:41 PM | 15 Feb, 2020
- 10 restaurants in Lahore for a romantic date on V-day12:08 PM | 13 Feb, 2020
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are reportedly expecting their first ...10:26 AM | 13 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019