India mulls re-arming its Russian jets with Israeli missiles after losing air superiority to Pakistan
PAF shoots down two Indian fighter jets inside ... 10:39 AM | 27 Feb, 2019
MUZAFFARABAD – Two Pakistan Air Force jets targeted two Indian warplanes in a dogfight and shot them down along the ...
Eight Indian Air Force fighters, including two Sukhoi-30 MKI jets, were vectored to intercept the Pakistani formation when they detected the launch of several US-made AIM-120 C5 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) in their direction.
“The PAF surprised the IAF by launching air-to-air missiles from inside Pakistan-occupied Kashmir,” Sameer Joshi, a Kargil veteran, told the Indian TV channel. “The AMRAAM effectively outranged the IAF air-to-air missiles which did not get a command to launch,” he said.
“Among the Indian Air Force's fighters which were targeted were two Sukhoi-30s which managed to evade the AMRAAMs which were fired at close to their maximum range of 100 kilometres. Fully defensive and desperate to escape the incoming AMRAAMs, the IAF Sukhoi-30s escaped being shot down but were unable to retaliate the Pakistani jets because they were out of position and their own missiles, the Russian R-77s, did not have the range to realistically engage the Pakistani fighters,” the NDTV report added.
IAF says the Russian missiles do not match its advertised range and cannot engage targets which are more than 80 kilometres away.
Now, to meet its requirements, the IAF is looking at the I-Derby variant of the Israeli missile which was unveiled at the Paris Air Show in 2015. Integrating the missile into the Russian fighter will be a challenge and, according to the report, will require Israeli expertise, particularly in developing a data-link between the Sukhoi-30 and the missile, once it is fired.
A fighter jet communicates with the missile through the data link and passes on updated vectors (location) of the fighter which has been targeted.
The Indian Navy was the first to integrate an older variant of the Derby missile with its now-retired fleet of Sea Harrier fighters. The missile is also the primary air-to-air weapon of the indigenous Tejas fighter which has entered service with the Indian Air Force.
The I-Derby isn't the only missile the air force is looking at to modernise its Sukhoi-30 fleet with European MBDA manufactured Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) and the indigenous Astra air-to-air missile for the Sukhoi-30.
Noted British journalist finds Israel’s ... 08:57 PM | 28 Feb, 2019
ISLAMABAD – While Narendra Modi’s absurd call to war with Pakistan has pulled both the nuclear-armed neighbours ...
Following the Feb 27 strikes, India confirmed the loss of one plane (MiG-21 Bison) and said it shot down a Pakistani jet (F-16) as it responded to the incident. However, the Indian claim was later debunked by US officials who said that they have counted the number of Pakistan Air Force F-16s in service and can say that none were lost to the Indian Air Force on Feb 27 this year.
- Physical classes for grade 9 to 12 resume across Pakistan12:02 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- LIVE: PM Imran addressing at ground-breaking ceremony of Margalla ...11:41 AM | 19 Apr, 2021
- realme Sets its Sights to Capture Infinity with the all new realme 8 ...11:17 AM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Religious groups to observe countrywide strike today in support with ...10:57 AM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-April-19-Updated ...09:40 AM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Arjun Rampal, Neil Nitin Mukesh test positive for Covid-1902:01 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021