Oil edges back in Asia after sharp losses
Both main contracts tumbled Monday after Federal Reserve boss Janet Yellen indicated a possible US rate hike this year, sending the greenback rallying and making crude more expensive to holders of other currencies.
Investors moved in to pick up bargains Tuesday and at about 0400 GMT, US benchmark West Texas Intermediate rose 21 cents, or 0.45 percent, to $47.19 while Brent was 13 cents, or 0.26 percent, up at $49.39.
Attention is now on the release of US jobs data Friday -- which should give an idea about the Fed s plans for rates -- before Russia and OPEC hold talks in Algeria to discuss the oversupply crisis that has dented prices for years.
"It s probably natural to see some bounce after yesterday s percent fall," said Bernard Aw, market strategist at IG Markets in Singapore.
"As oil approaches the upper end of the $40-50 range, we need confirmation that oil majors are heading towards an agreement to stabilise the market for oil prices to push higher."
The commodity has rallied in August on hopes Moscow and the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries will find an agreement to limit production.
Jeffrey Halley, senior analyst at currency trading firm OANDA, said: "Spikes above $48 in WTI and $50 in Brent crude are still being met by eager sellers, keen to reduce long positions ahead of Friday s event risk."
- SSGC General Manager terminated for harassing female employees02:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Blast derails passenger train in Balochistan’s Sibi, several injured01:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Indian PM Modi trolled over teleprompter faux pas during WEF speech ...01:22 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- vivo V23e now available in 128GB version01:03 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Several educational institutions sealed amid rising Covid cases in ...12:28 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Nora Fatehi flaunts her ultra glam look in latest clicks05:34 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Sania Mirza all praise for the lovely bond between Anushka Sharma and ...07:30 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Ayesha Omar spotted enjoying vacations in Dubai04:53 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021