President Trump threatens to pull US from WTO if 'they don’t shape up'
“If they don’t shape up, I would withdraw from the WTO,” President Trump told Bloomberg in an interview, airing his frustration and making such remarks that he had only privately discussed but denied publically.
Since taking over the White House after the 2016 elections, President Trump has rattled the world trade with his policies that he says are aimed at protecting American interests, but which have alienated many of the US’ old allies and major trading partners.
He has also criticized WTO previously, saying that the US has been “treated very badly” by the group. Trump has reportedly told his White House aides that he wanted to withdraw from the WTO, but this is the for the first time that he has publically threatened to do so.
But according to a report from CNBC News, Trump’s top administration officials are less keen on quitting the global trade regulator. The report quoted Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross as saying in July that the talk to leave WTO was “a little premature”.
If the US withdraws from WTO, it would upset the international trade system set up decades ago and was supported by the US. It would also roil the markets around the globe which are regulated by WTO regulations.
In a sign of growing frustration with the world trading body, the US on Monday said it plans to block the reappointment of one of its four remaining judges that serve the organization, a move that could impair its ability to function.
Many countries have complained to WTO about the US raising import tariffs, including China against which President Trump is reportedly planning to impose $200 billion tariffs on Chinese imports as soon as next week, in addition to billions of tariffs the US has already imposed on China.
In spite of its opposition to WTO, the US has been approaching WTO, seeking its assistance with retaliatory tariffs, imposed by China, the European Union, Canada, Mexico, and Turkey. All these countries have imposed tariffs on American goods in response to duties imposed by the US on their exports to the country.
- Burj Khalifa turns white and green to mark Pakistan’s Independence ...11:23 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Taliban welcome Indian decision to return embassy staff to Kabul10:49 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- In Independence Day message, Blinken calls for further strengthening ...10:28 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- One died, scores injured in Karachi during celebratory gunfire on ...09:12 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Much awaited trailer of 'The Legend of Maula Jatt' FINALLY released08:45 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Celebs celebrate Pakistan’s Independence Day07:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022