JI, police lock horns after detention of Karachi Ameer Hafiz Naeem
According to media reports, police resorted to aerial firing and fired tear gas shells in a bid to budge JI workers for continuous flow of traffic.
The tussle between JI and police started when JI workers were getting ready for staging a protest against Karachi Electric corporation regarding the recent hike in the tariff of the K-Electric corporation (KE).
Initially, JI had to protest at Shahrae-Faisal however, police staved off their plan and detained Hafiz Naeem, Usama Raazi and other party workers from Jamat-e-Islami’s Idara Noor-e-Haq.
According to party's spokesperson, police also blocked the routes leading to Jamat-e-Islami’s Idara Noor-e-Haq.
JI supremo Siraj Ul Haq in his statement condemned the detention of workers and threatened that the party would stage a protest country-wide provided the workers were not released.
'Sit-ins, gatherings, and protests are a democratic right of people', he said.
- Pakistan FM discusses Palestine issue with Chinese counterpart amid ...10:42 PM | 15 May, 2021
- UAE’s Etihad, flydubai airlines cancel flights to Israel amid ...09:23 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Israel destroys another Gaza building housing offices of Al Jazeera, ...07:52 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Bollywood diva Madhuri Dixit turns 5404:47 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Here's what your favourite stars wore on Eid-ul-Fitr11:51 AM | 15 May, 2021
- ‘Uncle Sargam’ — Renowned columnist, TV artist Farooq Qaiser ...09:19 PM | 14 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021