LAHORE (Staff Report) – Jamaat Islami (JI) retained as the most democratic while Pakistan Muslim League (PML-N) has been ranked as the least democratic party in Pakistan.
Pakistan Tehreek Insaf (PTI) slips to third position, according to Pakistan Institute of Legislative Development and Transparency (PILDAT).
PILDAT Monday launched its second annual report (Download full report) on internal democracy of major political parties of Pakistan 2015.
- Overall quality of political parties’ internal democracy slipped from 43% in 2014 to 40% in 2015
- Most parties mere lengthened shadow of their leaders
- Intra-party elections mere formality in most cases
- Parties’ funding shrouded in vagueness; ECP lacks capacity to check compliance with law
- Parties’ decision-making bodies generally weak and ineffective
- Next PTI intra-party election a defining event for internal democracy of political parties
- Lack of co-relation between internal democracy and mass popularity of parties