IHC bars PTA action against Zong
LAHORE – The Islamabad High Court on Wednesday stopped the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) from taking any action against China Mobile Pak Limited (CMPak Limited-Zong).
However, in its decision, the IHC ordered the cellular company to deposit the amount of fine imposed by PTA in the court.
Just over a month ago, the PTA had slapped a fine of 100 million on Zong for contraventions and noncompliance of regulatory laws including the sale of grey SIMs, unauthorized sale of SIMs through Kiosks activities and non-serious conduct of the licensee in terms of implementation of the minimum sale price for a mobile SIM.
The panel comprising PTA Chairman Maj. Gen. (r) Amir Azeem Bajwa, Member (Compliance and Enforcement) Dr. Khawar Siddique Khokhar and Member (Finance) Muhammad Naveed passed the enforcement order against the cellular giant.
The Authority also directed the licensee to submit a report, to Director Enforcement at PTA’s HQs, Islamabad, on a quarterly basis for the sale of SIMs in accordance with an applicable regulatory regime on the format as provided.
PTA observed that keeping in view the seriousness of the issue and national security implications, the Authority several times informed the licensee with regards to the violations on its part and directed to take tangible measures against the franchises/retailers/sellers involved in selling/activating SIMs fraudulently which were purportedly being used for illegal activities. These communications were issued to the licensee on a monthly basis for blocking of SIMs being used in grey trafficking.
Use of grey SIMs in illegal activities and heinous crimes is a serious national security concern. This menace of grey SIMs and trafficking has been causing immense loss to the national exchequer on regular basis. More so, such activities also hamper the legitimate business of other license holders.
- Bilawal Bhutto ‘tears apart' PDM's show-cause notice to PPP09:07 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Iran hit by act of ‘nuclear terrorism,’ says atomic agency08:38 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan cricket team celebrate Fakhar Zaman’s birthday (VIDEO)08:01 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- PAKvSA – Confident Pakistan aim for series lead over South Africa07:39 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan's Shah Mahmood Qureshi lands in Germany07:00 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani student’s documentary bags top prize at global ...03:31 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Jibran Nasir ties knot with Mansha Pasha in intimate ceremony03:22 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Katrina Kaif shares sun-kissed photos from quarantine02:05 PM | 11 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021
- Ten New IPO Billionaires in 202107:59 PM | 8 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021 – Tips for busy professionals01:52 PM | 7 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021 – Health tips for fasting in the holy month06:11 PM | 6 Apr, 2021