Trump strips India of special trade status
The White House will cut off special treatment of India , which is currently exempt from billions in tariffs, on June 5, The New York Times reported Saturday.
The notice of the change asserted that India did not allow the U.S. “equitable and reasonable access to its markets.”
The administration will also tax Indian solar panels and washers, according to The Times, halting an exemption that India and other countries obtained.
A statement from India 's Ministry of Commerce called the development "unfortunate," saying that the country tried to offer the U.S. ways to move forward.
"India as part of our bilateral trade discussions, had offered resolution on significant US requests in an effort to find a mutually acceptable way forward," it said. "It is unfortunate that this did not find acceptance by the US ."
The U.S. and India have been in disagreement over trade for months, particularly over Indian protectionism and U.S. attempts to prevent the country from buying Iranian oil, according to The Times.
The move comes as the Trump administration escalated its efforts on trade this week by threatening to impose tariffs on all goods from Mexico, another U.S. ally, unless the country works to curb illegal immigration into the U.S.
- Pakistan censures extremist mindset of Indian general11:53 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Lahore journalist remanded into FIA custody over anti-state social ...11:27 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- NETSOL technologies to ring Nasdaq closing bell on Jan 2108:56 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Senate body approves bill to curb international organized crimes08:13 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- TLP chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi among 86 awarded 55-year jail sentences08:07 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Birthday girl Sajal Aly gets heartwarming message from Ahad Raza's mom03:06 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019