Iran receives 13 tonnes of US sanctions-hit gold
Central bank chief Valiollah Seif, quoted by state news agency IRNA, said the accord covers the repatriation of a total of 13 tonnes of gold blocked in South Africa for the past two years, english.alarabiya.net reported.
Three consignments had been returned to the central bank since the start of the week, the governor said, adding that the last was the delivery of four tonnes on Tuesday night.
He said the gold was purchased earlier and kept in South Africa but could not be transferred to Iran because of sanctions.
The operation was the result of a compromise struck on the sidelines of Iran's negotiations in Vienna on its disputed nuclear programme. The two sides have set a new target date of July 7 for a final accord.
About $100 billion of Iranian assets have been frozen across the world under sanctions over its nuclear programme and also for its alleged support of anti-Israeli groups classified as terrorist organizations.
- edotco appoints new Country Managing Director Pakistan02:15 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- KIA Niro Spotted in Pakistan – Is the future of Hybrid vehicles ...01:51 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Meet Nabeel Ahmad: The Founder and CEO of Skyray Ventures01:47 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- NUST ranked among top Asia's 100 universities12:56 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Balochistan schools to remain closed till March 1, 202112:03 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Fashion Pakistan Week postponed over Covid-19 fears07:19 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Rabab Hashim ties the knot (See Mehndi & Maiyon Pics)05:08 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Alamgir gets a new kidney after 13 years of waiting (VIDEO)05:00 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020