Firing in Colombia claims life of footballer
Penaranda, a forward for second division Cortulua, was murdered by a gunman who broke into a gathering of football players.
The footballers had met at the home of Cristian Borja, a Colombian who plays for the first division Mexican team Deportivo Toluca. A gunman arrived at the Borja's home "and opened fire in the living room indiscriminately against everyone," Ospina said. Borja was unharmed, but another Cortulua player, 23-year-old Heisen Hower Izquierdo, was wounded and rushed to a local hospital.
Penaranda, 24, had also played for America de Cali and Atletico Nacional, two first division teams. A joint statement from Cortulua and America de Cali decried the "sad loss" for professional Colombian football.
"There were still many games to be played and many goals to celebrate that certainly would have come, given the enthusiasm and professionalism that he (Penaranda) always showed," the statement said.
- Five children killed, three injured as roof collapses in Lodhran04:24 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- 4.8 magnitude earthquake jolts parts of KP04:07 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Katrina Kaif wins over internet with superb dance moves (VIDEO)02:40 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021