Indian police arrest Rahul Gandhi on his way to visit Dalit gang-rape victim family
DELHI - Police in India have arrested Rahul Gandhi and his sister Priyanka Gandhi, two key leaders of the opposition Congress party, who were on their way to a northern village to meet the family of a Dalit gang-rape victim.
According to media reports, the UP police arrested the leaders as they were going to visit the family of a 19-year-old girl belonging to the Dalit community who was gang-raped, tortured and killed last month.
The police said that the key Congress leaders were detained for violating a ban on the presence of four or more people in the area.
Clash between the dozens of Congress party workers and police erupted on the occasion after which the police also used batons to disperse them.
On September 14, a 19-year-old girl belonging from Dalit community was allegedly gang-raped by four people in Hathras district.
- Pakistani man booked for offering Rolex and Mercedes to Dubai cop as ...08:17 AM | 26 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran writes to Facebook for banning Islamophobic content11:17 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Emirates celebrates 35 years of connecting Pakistan to the world09:41 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Death toll in blast-hit Quetta reaches 709:29 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan Medical Commission announces admission criteria for foreign ...08:53 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Scarlett Johansson to star in 'Bride' for Apple, A2404:06 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- IN PICS: Sana Javed, Umair Jaswal share unseen shots of their Nikkah03:08 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- Naumaan Ijaz’ Instagram account has been hacked02:01 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- FIA arrests ‘RAW spy’ involved in target killings, bombings from ...04:14 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran slams France's Macron for deliberately provoking Muslims02:46 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- 15 men gang-raped, filmed teenage sisters in Punjab02:16 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Karachi police chief tests positive for coronavirus01:21 PM | 25 Oct, 2020