President Ghani shown peace deal draft as Zalmay Khalilzad lands in Kabul
Khalilzad, who has completed nine rounds of talks with Taliban representatives to end the war in Afghanistan, is in Kabul currently and would meet Afghan leaders this week to build a consensus before the deal is struck.
The discussions are crucial because up until now, the Afghan government has largely been ignored, though any deal would require the Taliban to talk to Ghani which can become an obstacle as well.
Before heading to Kabul, Zalmay Khalilzad said the negotiations with Taliban are “at the threshold of an agreement” to put an end to 18 years of conflict.
The envoy, after concluding the latest round of talks, said on Sunday that the agreement will reduce’violence and open the door for Afghans to sit together to negotiate an honourable and sustainable peace’.
Meanwhile, violence continues across Afghanistan amid negotiations as on Saturday, the Taliban attempted to seize Kunduz in the north, and a day later, launched an operation in the city of Pul-e Khumri, the capital of neighbouring Baghlan province.
He had also warned to take action again if an attack is launched.
“We’re going down to 8,600 and then we make a determination from there,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News radio.
- Pakistan launches documentary on February-27 response against Indian ...05:38 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Women’s T20 World Cup 2020: Pakistan beat West Indies in Canberra05:24 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Nazi-inspired RSS ideology taking over India, may lead to bloodshed: ...03:33 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Punjab Cabinet declares PML-N Supremo Nawaz Sharif as “absconder”01:46 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Greta Thunberg and Malala Yousafzai meet at Oxford University01:17 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi calls out Hindutva activists, urges world to take ...01:12 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Sonya Hussyn was never in my books for MPTH: Khalil ur Rehman12:35 AM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019