Chinese scientists develop power-generating windows
WASHINGTON - Chinese researchers have developed a material with thin, see-through solar cells that could turn windows into miniature electricity generators.
The window-compatible material reported in a study published in the journal Joule could potentially double the energy efficiency of an average household.
"Building-integrated photovoltaics are a great example of a market where silicon photovoltaics, despite their cheapness and performance, are not the most appropriate due to their dull appearance and heaviness," said the paper's senior author Yip Hin-Lap, a professor of materials science and engineering at the South China University of Technology.
"Instead, we can make organic photovoltaics into semi-transparent, lightweight, and colorful films that are perfect for turning windows into electricity generators and heat insulators."
Tesla presents Solar Roof Tiles 03:58 PM | 31 Oct, 2016
LOS ANGELES - Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has unveiled roof tiles with built-in solar panels, taking solar paneling ...
To construct a prototype capable of simultaneously outputting electricity and preventing excessive heating, the researchers needed to perform a three-way balancing act between harvesting light for electricity generation, blocking it for heat insulation, and transmitting it as a window normally would.
Mixing and matching from among materials and chemical compounds previously proposed for these different purposes, they put together a device that let the familiar visible portions of sunlight through, turned back the infrared light (a major heating culprit), and converted the near-infrared region in-between into an electric current.
In theory, installing windows outfitted with dual electricity-generating and heat-insulating properties could cut an average household's reliance on external electric sources by over 50 percent.
This solar-powered jacket is the answer to you ... 05:35 PM | 10 Dec, 2016
TOKYO - Believe it or not, there is a solar-powered jacket coat that can charge your smartphone on the go. Comme des ...
These dual-function materials are still very much in their infancy, but the authors expect them to pave the way to new beneficial technologies.
"Making heat-insulating multifunctional semitransparent polymer solar cells is just the beginning of exploring new applications of organic photovoltaics," said Yip.
"A version tailored for self-powered greenhouses is only one of many impactful products that we want to develop for the future," said Yip.
- No coronavirus case in Pakistan; screening continues at airports12:24 AM | 20 Feb, 2020
- 3 youth martyred in Pulwama as India launches another anti-Kashmir ...10:08 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Kashmir issue no more a bilateral but international human rights ...09:55 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- WWF-Pakistan stresses innovative technologies for wastewater ...06:53 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Harry Styles reportedly mugged at knifepoint on Valentine's Day01:42 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- UN chief meets Mahira Khan, thanks her for ‘extraordinary support’02:59 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Justin Bieber admits to being 'reckless' with Selena when they dated11:17 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019