Chinese scientists develop power-generating windows
The window-compatible material reported in a study published in the journal Joule could potentially double the energy efficiency of an average household.
"Building-integrated photovoltaics are a great example of a market where silicon photovoltaics, despite their cheapness and performance, are not the most appropriate due to their dull appearance and heaviness," said the paper's senior author Yip Hin-Lap, a professor of materials science and engineering at the South China University of Technology.
"Instead, we can make organic photovoltaics into semi-transparent, lightweight, and colorful films that are perfect for turning windows into electricity generators and heat insulators."
Tesla presents Solar Roof Tiles 03:58 PM | 31 Oct, 2016
LOS ANGELES - Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has unveiled roof tiles with built-in solar panels, taking solar paneling ...
To construct a prototype capable of simultaneously outputting electricity and preventing excessive heating, the researchers needed to perform a three-way balancing act between harvesting light for electricity generation, blocking it for heat insulation, and transmitting it as a window normally would.
Mixing and matching from among materials and chemical compounds previously proposed for these different purposes, they put together a device that let the familiar visible portions of sunlight through, turned back the infrared light (a major heating culprit), and converted the near-infrared region in-between into an electric current.
In theory, installing windows outfitted with dual electricity-generating and heat-insulating properties could cut an average household's reliance on external electric sources by over 50 percent.
This solar-powered jacket is the answer to you ... 05:35 PM | 10 Dec, 2016
TOKYO - Believe it or not, there is a solar-powered jacket coat that can charge your smartphone on the go. Comme des ...
These dual-function materials are still very much in their infancy, but the authors expect them to pave the way to new beneficial technologies.
"Making heat-insulating multifunctional semitransparent polymer solar cells is just the beginning of exploring new applications of organic photovoltaics," said Yip.
"A version tailored for self-powered greenhouses is only one of many impactful products that we want to develop for the future," said Yip.
- ‘Proud of you’ — PM Imran congratulates Team Pakistan for T20 ...11:05 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- PAKvIND: Pakistan make India bite the dust in first encounter of T20 ...10:29 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan calls for implementation of UNSC resolutions on Kashmir06:00 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Shahveer Jafry ties the knot with Ayesha Baig in enchanting ceremony03:30 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Shahroz Sabzwari reacts to his shirtless viral video01:30 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021