Doctor dies of COVID-19 in Karachi after failing to find ventilator
KARACHI - A doctor has died from coronavirus in Karachi - the third death of a medical professional in the city- after he could not find the facility of a ventilator to keep breathing.
Dr Furqanul Haq, who had recently retired from Karachi Institute of Heart Diseases, had needed to be placed on the ventilator but failed to find one for him despite visiting several hospitals. He succumbed to the infection on Sunday, according to Pakistan Medical Association (PMA).
The association said that Haq had been diagnosed with the infection four days ago but he faced breathing problems as he was also a cardiac patient.
Dr Qaiser Sajjad, the secretary general of PMA, said: "If a doctor in the biggest city of the country cannot be given a ventilator then what will be the condition of a common person?"
A Sindh government official said that ventilators and beds are available at CHK and JPMC, adding that an inquiry into the matter has been launched.
Previously, Dr Abdul Qadir Soomro and gynecologist, Dr Zubaida Sattar had lost their lives due to infection in Karachi.
- Heavy rains likely in parts of country from Thursday11:48 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Pakistan condemns start of temple construction at Babri Mosque site ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Trump offers to mediate standoff between China, India09:45 PM | 27 May, 2020
- India may lose T20 World Cup 2021 hosting rights over tax issues08:51 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Petrol prices likely to go down by Rs5-10 in Pakistan07:33 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Anoushey receives Eid wishes from 'Ertugrul' – VIDEO04:35 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Nadia Jamil’s best friend goes bald to support her03:55 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Asim Azhar releases his version of Bollywood song Humraah02:34 PM | 27 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020