India: Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa dies at 68
The 68-years-old Jayalalithaa was readmitted to the critical care unit (CCU) of Chennai’s Apollo Hospital after she suffered a cardiac arrest on Sunday evening.
'It is with indescribable grief we announce the sad demise of our esteemed honourable chief minister of Tamil Nadu Puratchi Thalavi Amma at 11.30pm today (5.12.2016). Our honourable chief minister Selvi J Jayalalithaa was admitted on 22.9.2016 with complaints of fever and dehydration and underlying comorbidities' said a press release.
It is with indescribable grief, we announce the sad demise of our esteemed Honourable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Puratchi Thalaivi Amma. pic.twitter.com/vLloIw2qbE— HospitalsApollo (@HospitalsApollo) December 5, 2016
Born on February 24, 1948, Jayalalithaa entered films when she was 16 years old. Making her debut as lead actress in a Kannada film, she was launched into Tamil films starring as the heroine in MGR's "Ayirathil Oruvan." Jayalalithaa.
Her formal entry into politics happened in 1982 when she was inducted into AIADMK by her mentor and former co-star MGR.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi would also head to Chennai for paying his last respects to the deceased.
The Kerala government announced a public holiday for state offices and educational institutes while federal government announced a day of mourning.
- Pakistan to host OIC foreign ministers’ meeting on Afghanistan on ...01:53 AM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Vernon Philander pens heartfelt good-bye message for Pakistan team10:56 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Petroleum prices in Pakistan to remain unchanged in December10:19 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Pakistan President filled with remorse for using Governor House as ...09:02 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Indian actress Ameesha Patel booked in cheque bounce case06:39 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Mahira Khan receives flak for glorifying emotionally abusive ...04:06 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Deepika Padukone stuns in a gorgeous saree by Pakistani designer04:58 PM | 30 Nov, 2021