Oil extends gains in Asian trade
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for March delivery rose 69 cents to $51.17 while Brent crude for March gained 54 cents to $57.11 in late-morning trade.
WTI on Thursday jumped $2.73 in New York and Brent advanced $2.41, erasing losses earlier in Asia.
"Oil's continuing whipsaw has largely been motivated by news surrounding inventory and supply side umbers," said Nicholas Teo, market analyst at CMC Markets in Singapore.
"The battle between oil bulls and bears will likely continue tonight when the US weekly drilling rig count numbers are released," Teo added.
Last week's data showed a record drop of 94 oil rigs to 1,223 for the week ended January 30.That compared with 2,393 a year ago.
The drop, coupled with announcements of deep cuts in capital spending by major oil companies including BP and BG Group, has suggested there will be tighter supplies in the future. Teo said "there are indications that the rig count will be lower" for the week to Friday.
Some analysts however remain doubtful about the impact of immediate-term dips in production levels as supplies continue to outweigh global demand. Prices plunged around 60 percent from their June peaks to a six-year low last week, largely owing to a surge in global reserves boosted by robust US shale production.
- Pakistani PM Shehbaz Sharif to visit Turkey next week, says Foreign ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Shireen Mazari's daughter booked for 'defaming' Pakistan Army chief09:43 PM | 27 May, 2022
- PIA announces Pakistan's Hajj flights plan08:45 PM | 27 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's bail plea in forest fire case dismissed by Islamabad ...06:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022