Oil prices up in Asian trade
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate added 32 cents to $51.08 while Brent gained 47 cents to $60.95 in late-morning trade.
"We are seeing a constructive market at the moment with traders seeing a lot of upside potential, possibly based on tensions in the Middle East and Ukraine," Michael McCarthy, chief market strategist at CMC Markets in Sydney, told AFP.
"Somehow, we are seeing investors looking away from the huge build in US inventories this week," he added.
Libya's National Oil Co declared force majeure Wednesday at 11 oil fields after attacks by Islamists.
The OPEC member has been battling the rise of militias seeking control of its cities and oil wealth since the killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.
Unabated fighting has seen its output reduced from a high of almost 1.5 million barrels a day to 150,000, according to analysts.
In Ukraine, investors are closely watching latest efforts to prop up a ceasefire in the country's eastern region, currently controlled by pro-Russia rebels.
The 10-month conflict in the country -- a key conduit for Russian energy exports to Europe -- is seen as Europe's worse since the war in the Balkans in the 1990s.
Analysts said dealers will next scrutinise the release Friday of US non-farm payrolls and unemployment data for February, looking for clues on the strength of the US economy.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:29 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan reports lowest daily Covid death toll during fourth wave09:06 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 20 October 202108:39 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- US train riders ‘held up phones as woman was raped’, could face ...01:45 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Here’s how Pakistan Navy detected and blocked Indian submarine from ...01:20 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Alka Yagnik has the sweetest birthday wish for Imran Abbas05:10 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021