Zimbabwe's former President Robert Mugabe dies at 95
Robert Mugabe won Zimbabwe's first election after independence, becoming prime minister in 1980.
He abolished the office in 1987, becoming president of the country.
He used repression and fear to rule Zimbabwe and his regime was widely accused of human rights violations and of rigging elections until he was finally ousted by his previously loyal military generals.
In a tweet, the country´s president announced that "It is with the utmost sadness that I announce the passing on of Zimbabwe´s founding father and former President... Robert Mugabe."
Mugabe had been battling ill health, and his humiliating fall from office in November 2017, his stamina seeped away rapidly. He was hospitalised in Singapore for months for an undisclosed ailment, Mnangagwa had confirmed earlier this year.
However, no further details regarding the circumstances, where or how he died were immediately available.
- Welsh slate is now on list of Unesco World Heritage Sites12:56 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- July 29, 1958 -- On this day in history US set up NASA12:43 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- PM Imran names man who ‘offered bribe’ for withdrawal of Panama ...12:31 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- India ‘ready’ to restore special status of occupied Kashmir at ...12:15 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Honda rolls out new model of City variant tomorrow11:44 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Nora Fatehi’s belly dance moves in ‘Zaalima Coca Cola’ set ...04:04 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Mehrooz Waseem hits back, accuses Usman Mukhtar of harassment03:48 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Maya Ali's colourful birthday celebrations go viral03:34 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021