Joker Breaks Record for October Opening Weekend Box Office
All the world loves a clown — or at least lots of movie lovers paid to see one this weekend.
According to Reuters, Joker raked in an impressive £93.5million (£75,849,000) on its debut – smashing box office records to become the highest October launch of all time. The record was previously held by 2018 thriller Venom that brought in $80million (£64,898,800).
“This was a much larger result at the box office than we had ever anticipated globally,” said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.’ president of domestic distribution. “Putting records aside, we’re just thrilled that audiences are embracing the movie as strong as they are.”
Prior to the film’s release, “Joker” made headlines for becoming the first comic book movie to win the top prize at a major film festival, taking home the Golden Lion after its premiere in Venice.
Helmed and co-written by Phillips, Joker puts a distinctive, R-rated spin on the classic Batman villain and stars Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, a mentally ill stand-up comedian who creates chaos in Gotham City. Heading into the weekend, there were concerns that the film’s stark themes and imagery may inspire real-life violence, prompting theatres to increase security. Despite all this controversy, cinemas were flooded with people to watch the movie.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more updates!
- NCOC prepares guidelines for Eidul Azha04:25 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Newly built hospital to help Pakistan fight against COVID-19 ...04:16 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan’s earns US $ 1176 mln from IT services’ export04:03 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Chairman Senate Sadiq Sanjrani announces to contest election for IPU ...01:22 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020