India's Tata Steel faces criminal inquiry by UK's Serious Fraud Office
Police officers are examining allegations that staff working for the company’s office in Britain may have falsified certificates detailing the composition of the product before they were sold.
The company's Yorkshire site is the focus of the inquiry, the Daily Telegraph reported.
At least nine employees have been suspended and around 500 clients, including BAE and Rolls-Royce, are thought to be affected.
Tata Steel announced it had put its entire UK business up for sale following a board meeting in Mumbai, putting thousands of workers' jobs at risk.
The company said the move was to stem heavy losses from high manufacturing costs, competition with China and a global oversupply of steel.
The disclosure comes at difficult time for Tata and will be embarrassing for the British government. UK Business Secretary, Sajid Javid, is frantically trying to ensure that Tata acts as what he calls a “responsible seller” after the company last week said it plans to withdraw from its British steel operations, putting thousands of jobs at risk.
Ratan Tata, the former chairman of Tata Group, defended the decision, calling the UK steel operation "underinvested and overmanned".
In January, Tata announced more than 1,000 job losses at UK plants, 750 of them in Port Talbot. That came after 1,200 job losses at Tata plants in Scunthorpe and Lanarkshire last October, at the same time steel manufacturer SSI closed another plant at Redcar.
Liberty House owner Sanjeev Gupta has emerged as the most likely buyer of Tata Steel UK. The tycoon, who has already saved several UK steelworks, said the deal would require a partnership with the government.
Business secretary Sajid Javid has said Tata Steel intends to formally begin the sales process by Monday 11 April "at the latest".
The Group was founded in 1868 by Jamsetji Tata and gained international recognition after purchasing several global companies.
- ICC nominates two Pakistani cricketers for awards of the decade09:18 AM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...09:00 AM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 27 November 202008:45 AM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Rapid Rides to bring Lifan bikes in Pakistan08:30 AM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Oppo’s Reno 5 Pro – Launching in December 2020 according to leaks08:10 AM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Urwa Hocane's father responds to 'separation' with Farhan Saeed07:25 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Nabeel Zuberi takes lead role in Aulaad05:29 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Mehwish Hayat surprised by secret admirer (VIDEO)05:21 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020